Also known as conjunctivitis, happens when the conjunctiva, a thin transparent layer covering the white portion of your eye ball is irritated by an infection or due to some allergy. Pink eye can be very contagious (easily spread from person to person via touch. Thus one needs to sanitize all their belongings and avoiding close contact).

The most common signs and symptoms are


Swelling of eye lids(inflammation)

Sticky discharge
( white, clear or mucoid)




Light sensitivity (photophobia)

Blurry vision


Viral conjunctivitis

It is the most common type of pink eye. This conjunctivitis is very contagious and often spreads through schools and other crowded places. It usually causes burning, red eyes with a watery discharge.

Allergic conjunctivitis

is a type of pink eye that comes from an allergic reaction to something. It is not contagious. It makes your eyes very itchy, red and watery, and the eyelids may get puffy.

Bacterial conjunctivitis

It is also very contagious. An infection from bacteria causes this form of pink eye. With bacterial conjunctivitis, you can have soreness, red eyes with a lot of sticky pus.

Pink Eye Treatment

Treating your pink eye usually depends on the type of conjunctivitis.

Viral conjunctivitis:

If your conjunctivitis is caused by a viral infection, there are no specific treatments. Your body fights the virus on its own. Placing a cool, wet washcloth on your eyes can help make them feel more comfortable.

Bacterial conjunctivitis

If your pink eye is caused by a bacterial infection, your eye care professional may prescribe antibiotic eye drops, depending on how severe your symptoms are.

Allergic conjunctivitis

If your conjunctivitis is due to allergies, you might be told to use certain eye drops to help with the itchiness and puffiness.
Sometimes conjunctivitis can be caused by a chemical or other substance in your eye. In this case, rinse the eye free of the substance. You might be told to use certain eye drops or ointment for the eyes.


Request a same day visit with a

dry eye specialist.